HomeServe and cookies
We’d like to make sure that visitors to our websites understand exactly what cookies are used for and how they affect you whilst browsing or buying from us.
What are website cookies?
Cookies are a kind of short term memory for the web. They are stored in your browser and enable a site to ‘remember’ little bits of information between pages or visits.
HomeServe uses both ‘first-party’ cookies and ‘third party’ cookies on our website. We place first party cookies on our website so we can remember your preferences, monitor the number of visits we have to our website, monitor how you found our website, and so we can present you with adverts which we think you will find interesting. This includes first party cookies for social media platforms, such as ‘Facebook pixels’, so we can present those adverts when you are using social media platforms. Third party cookies are placed on our website (and many other websites) by other companies not associated with HomeServe, so they can monitor which websites different users visit. This lets those companies understand the preferences and interests of users, so they can present adverts which will be relevant to them.
Cookies and your privacy
How to control your cookie preferences
You have full control over your cookie preferences for each website you use.
You can edit your cookie preferences by following the steps in the table below (For browsers not listed in the table below, we recommend that you refer to the ‘help’ menu in your chosen browser):
Editing your cookie preferences
- Click the spanner icon on the browser toolbar
- Select ‘Settings’
- Click ‘Show advanced settings’
- In the ‘Privacy’ section, click the ‘Content settings’ button
- In the ‘Cookies’ section, you can change the following cookie settings:
- – Delete cookies
- – Block cookies by default
- – Allow cookies by default
- – Make exceptions from specific cookies or domains
- From the ‘Tools’ menu select ‘Options’
- Select the ‘Privacy’ tab
- Select the ‘Cookies’ option if available, otherwise select ‘Use custom settings for history’ from the ‘Firefox will’ drop down menu
- Choose your preferred cookie settings
Internet Explorer 7+
- From the ‘Tools’ menu, click ‘Internet options’
- Select the ‘Privacy’ tab
- Move the slider to your preferred level of privacy
- For more detailed cookie options, click on ‘Advanced’ and check the ‘Override automatic cookie handling’ box, then modify your settings
Please be aware that:
- You may not be able to use all of the interactive features on our websites if cookies are disabled.
- By removing certain kinds of cookies, you may miss out on future offers and advertisements from HomeServe which may be of interest to you.
- You may not be able to use all of the interactive features on our websites (such as viewing DIY help and advice videos) if cookies are disabled.
Further cookie preferences
More information on website cookies and the ways in which you can delete and control cookies on your computer is available from www.aboutcookies.org.