Installing and servicing electrical support structures, equipment and systems on roads and motorways.
Highway electrical maintenance and installation operative
Summary of this apprenticeship standard
Current funding band
Insert a postcode to find a training provider for this apprenticeship
What apprentices will learn
- highways operational practices – including first line emergency attendance, hazard identification, installing and maintaining equipment and site specific risk assessments
- planning, preparing and organising works – including identifying work and requirements and identifying plant, equipment, tool and material requirements
- working with electrical structures and equipment – including poles and posts and safety cameras, street lighting and traffic signals
- team working – including effective communication through written and verbal skills, taking responsibility and working in a positive and constructive way
- specialist highway electrical equipment and system, installation, maintenance or emergency attendance skills
- health and safety practices and legislation within a highways environment – including the Highway Electrical Registration Scheme (HERS) requirements
- level 2 certificate in highway electrical work
- level 2 NVQ certificate or diploma in highway electrical systems
Apprentices will complete their work in line with industry and employer health, safety and environmental procedures including:
- completing the Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) highway electrical version health and safety test
- fulfilling the HERS requirements so they can be issued with an ECS card
Before taking their end-point assessment apprentices must:
- achieve level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades D to G)
- take the test for level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
On completing their apprenticeship, apprentices will be registered as an associate with the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.
Contact our support team for more information
We have a dedicated support team ready to help you with any queries. Feel free to contact us today.